Reference number: 13/05/14HO
Six permanent positions exist in the Structural Industry Statistics division at Head Office, Pretoria
SALARY: R148 584per annum
CENTRE: Head Office
REQUIREMENTS: A matric certificate with Mathematics / Accounting - Experience in the appropriate fields / survey will be an added advantage, Knowledge of MS Office Suite, A valid driver’s license will be an added advantage.
DUTIES: Mail and telephonic collection of questionnaires, Visit respondents to collect questionnaires, complete questionnaires from financial statements, or assist with completion of questionnaires, Check, capture and edit the collected information for the current and previous period, Maintain good relations with respondents, Conduct quality assurance. Person Profile: This position will suit a person with: Good numerical and communication skills, Ability to work independently, Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in order to meet deadlines.
ENQUIRIES: Mr Collen Mokonyane at (012) 310 4604
Stats SA provides scientific knowledge that enables society to understand complex socio-economic phenomena. It draws its mandate from the Statistics Act, 1999 (Act No 6 of 1999). Stats SA strives to excel in the following five competencies:
- Intellectual capability to lead the scientific work of statistics
- Technological competence for purposes of large-scale processing and for complex computations and accessibility of information to the public
- Logistical competence for deployment of (forward and reverse) logistics of large-scale field operations and for strategic choices regarding operational efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Political competence in understanding the political environment without being political or Politicized (commitment of delivery without fear of favour)
- Administrative competence: The ability of bringing it all together.
APPLICATIONS: Head Office, Pretoria: Post to the Recruitment Manager, Statistics SA, Private Bag X44, Pretoria 0001 or hand-deliver at167ManakaHeights Building, corner Andries (Thabo Sehume) and Vermeulen (Madiba) Streets, Pretoria Free State: Human Resource Officer, Statistics SA, Private Bag X20541, Bloemfontein 9300 or hand deliver at Ellen Gaborone Building, Corner Moshoeshoe & George Lubbe Street, Rocklands, Bloemfontein, 9300.
CLOSING DATE: 6 June 2014
NOTE: Applications must be submitted on form Z83, obtainable from any Public Service department, and must be completed in full. Certified copies of your identity document and qualifications as well as a CV must be attached. Applicants risk being disqualified for failing to submit all the required documents. If you do not hear from us within three months after the closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful. Correspondence will be entered into with short listed candidates only. Stats SA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Appointment is subject to security clearance, the signing of a performance agreement, verification of the applicant’s documents, and reference checking.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Please clearly indicate the reference number of the position you are applying for in your application.
Click here to download a Z83 Application Form.
Questions after the interview:
At the end of an interview there is usually an opportunity where you can ask any questions you might have. This is a great opportunity to show the interviewer that you are interested in the position as well as the company. It is a good idea to prepare a few questions before the interview – this can be done while you are doing research on the company.
Your questions should show the interviewer that you are a good candidate for the position. Try and avoid questions that are based on your personal needs and preferences, for instance:
- How much leave will I get in a year?
- Will I be considered for promotion in my first year?
- When will I get an increase?
- What time can I leave in the afternoon?
These questions are inappropriate at this stage and will probably raise concerns on the side of the interviewer. Should you be the successful candidate then all these questions will be answered in your letter of appointment so don’t waste this opportunity by asking these basic questions.
If the position is an entry level job or very junior then you are welcome to ask questions in line with the position, for instance:
- Why did the previous person leave the position?
- What would the successful person be tasked to do in a typical day?
- How does this position fit into the department and / or company?
- Could you explain the company structure to me?
- Is there any further education assistance or support?
If the position is more senior then you can prepare question around the following themes:
- current issues that will face the successful candidate;
- inter-personal challenges in the department;
- any process, technology or people challenges that needs to be attended to urgently;
- key result areas that need urgent attention in the first few months;
The above information should get you started. Prepare a few questions so that you can show your worth. Good luck with your interview!