This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement: Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating Division.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet.
Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 09.06.2014.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to GUGU.MAHLANGU@TRANSNET.NET.
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division: Transnet Capital Projects
Position Title: Planning Lead
Employee Group: Permanent
Department: PE, Stream 6, OreLine, PSS, Planning
Reporting To: Programme Controls Manager
Grade Level: F
Reference Number: 70000858
- To develop and manage all Planning (Enterprise & Projects) for TCP across the regions for the stream.
- To manage and be responsible for all aspects of Planning and Controlling of projects, resources and systems for the effective integrated project services to Transnet Projects and Operating divisions.
- Bachelor's degree / equivalent diploma in engineering (Mech / Civil / Industrial) or related qualification.
- 4-6 years relevant experience in managerial position supported by 5-8 years' experience as a project planner in multidiscipline project environment.
- Project Management experience in line with PMBoK.
- Specialist knowledge of project planning including using Primavera P5/6 - Certification for P6 Web, P6/ver 8 would be an advantage - Competent in the use of NEC 3 ECC suite of contracts - EPCM planning experience.
- Interaction with contractors on project plans and schedule management.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Overall management and accountability for the Scheduling, Planning, Controlling, Monitoring and Tracking functions in Transnet Projects in the stream.
- Provide expert Planning services to the projects using software approved by Project Support Services.
- WBS input / update activity data including logic, resource, progress, expenditure, activity durations and logic sequences.
- Prepare detailed tracking schedules, bar charts, network diagrams, resource loading graphs and critical path analyses for projects using software approved by Transnet Project Services - Review the bid milestones and overall completion timetables in conjunction with the project scope at award and identify any anomalies or inconsistencies.
- Review reports and information prepared by construction personnel or contractors/suppliers in accordance with particular project requirements.
- Regular interaction with clients to ensure a professional service is delivered.
- Ensure adherence to and the effective use of tools, Transnet systems and procedures.
- Initiating and implementing new business procedures congruent to best practice.
- Lead and direct, Project Planners and sub-ordinates so that they are motivated and have access to the required resources in order to meet the work objectives set for them.
- Comply with all requirements of the Project Execution Plans (PEP).
- Prepare and present detailed monthly status reports - Manage and mentor planning team to ensure that staff has an understanding of what is expected of them and has the necessary skills to execute the requirements.
- Identification training and development requirements for staff and ensure skills development takes place.
- Assist/Lead team in terms of Time claims, Early warnings, compensation events and project changes.
Competencies: - Interpersonal and good communication skills; - Computer literacy (MS Office package); - Resource management; - Time management - Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines - Planning and organizing - Budgeting skills - Verbal and written communication - Presentation skills - NEC 3 ECC suite of contracts
WORKING CONDITIONS/INHERENT REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- Regular travel
- Drivers licence code 8
Questions after the interview:
At the end of an interview there is usually an opportunity where you can ask any questions you might have. This is a great opportunity to show the interviewer that you are interested in the position as well as the company. It is a good idea to prepare a few questions before the interview – this can be done while you are doing research on the company.
Your questions should show the interviewer that you are a good candidate for the position. Try and avoid questions that are based on your personal needs and preferences, for instance:
- How much leave will I get in a year?
- Will I be considered for promotion in my first year?
- When will I get an increase?
- What time can I leave in the afternoon?
These questions are inappropriate at this stage and will probably raise concerns on the side of the interviewer. Should you be the successful candidate then all these questions will be answered in your letter of appointment so don’t waste this opportunity by asking these basic questions.
If the position is an entry level job or very junior then you are welcome to ask questions in line with the position, for instance:
- Why did the previous person leave the position?
- What would the successful person be tasked to do in a typical day?
- How does this position fit into the department and / or company?
- Could you explain the company structure to me?
- Is there any further education assistance or support?
If the position is more senior then you can prepare question around the following themes:
- current issues that will face the successful candidate;
- inter-personal challenges in the department;
- any process, technology or people challenges that needs to be attended to urgently;
- key result areas that need urgent attention in the first few months;
The above information should get you started. Prepare a few questions so that you can show your worth. Good luck with your interview!