Job Type Classification: Permanent
Location - Town / City: Midrand
Location - Province: Gauteng
Location - Country: South Africa
The purpose of this role is to generate deal flow and build a robust pipeline of prospective projects for development financing . The incumbent of this role will also be responsible to coach & mentor junior staff.
- Undertake business development in Africa and position DBSA as preferred lender/investor/partner;
- Initiate and develop new business strategies and opportunities in order to create a pipeline of development impact projects for the International Financing Division;
- Appraise new investment and non- investment proposals (early stage screening and due diligence);
- Perform detailed analysis of investment opportunities, including commercial analysis, financial modelling and risk and institutional analysis;
- Negotiation of project documents;
- Oversee disbursements to approved projects as well as monitor a project's progress post investment;
- Ensure deal closure by taking responsibility for optimal financial, institutional and legal structuring;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop specific investment opportunities;
- Provide innovative and flexible financial structures for complex transactions;
- Identify opportunities to initiate viable projects, project origination through the facilitation of project preparation, scoping, feasibility studies, and business plans with the intention of closing investment deals;
- Prepare Investment Committee and Board papers on investment opportunities and feasibility studies for management and the Board of Directors to consider;
- Coordinate closely with specialists in Financing Operations division to add value to clients' businesses; find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges to achieve sustainable development impact;
- Coordinate the implementation of investments and monitor the performance of investment projects through progressive investment and income reports; monitor collection and recording of income on investments;
- Leverage international and regional partners to provide capital for new business investments;
- Manage relationships at various levels with the relevant project stakeholders, partners, and lead promoters, in accordance with the project's development objectives;
- Maintain communication with clients and manage client relations; ensure that they submit all the Bank's requirements to facilitate the appraisal process; Provide feedback on the status of their application timeously and advise them on the bank's processes and procedures, and in liaison with Finance, resolve payment and / repayment related issues;
- Offer a broad range of advisory services to private and public sector investors, businesses, and client-country governments. These services amongst others include:
- Broadening access to finance
- Provide investment promotion intermediaries in Africa to receive technical assistance to build institutional capacity in areas such as strategic planning, investor marketing, sector targeting, and to improve responsiveness to investor needs through information services.
- Assist clients to develop and implement targeted investor outreach campaigns on a country and/or regional basis.
- Undertake continuous research and provide recommendations on significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in areas of responsibility. Provide information to potential clients and document the same to provide information on customer requirements/ areas of interest.
Expertise & Technical Competencies:
- An Honours degree in finance, Business, Accounting, Engineering ,or Economics;
- A post-graduate qualification such as a CA, CFA or MBA would be a strong advantage;
- 8- 12 years experience in appraising, negotiating and closing Project Finance, Corporate Finance, or Structured Finance transactions in a financial institution;
- Experience in successful investment, appraisal, analysis and implementation is required
- Successful track record in leading project teams with high level stakeholders and qualified professionals;
- Experience in using Financial models;
- Experience in doing business in Africa is a requirement
Required Personal Attributes:
- Ability to comprehensively analyse financial statements;
- Ability to independently conduct financial model reviews and analysis;
- Strong credit risk analysis and risk structuring skills in either PPP, Corporate Finance , Project Finance, Sovereign, etc
- Must be familiar with all types of agreements/contracts typically used in limited recourse project finance.
- Sound business judgment to identify potential business partners;
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, ability to focus effectively on clients needs;
- Skill in dealing in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations;
- Experience in operating effectively across organizational boundaries and work as a team to meet assigned strategies and goals;
- Robust analytical and problem solving skills to identify issues and present creative and practical solutions;
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; Fluency in French, Portuguese, Swahili and other languages widely used in Africa is an advantage. Able to speak persuasively and present idea clearly and concisely.
- Genuine commitment to highest ethical standards and to sustainable development with particular sensitivity to social and environmental issues
- Outstanding interpersonal, diplomatic and partnership skills required for building and maintaining collaborative relationships with senior government officials, partners and stakeholders with the aim of strengthening client-country development processes;
- Superior level of resourcefulness, ability to work with considerable autonomy as well as willingness to work under pressure and through the whole spectrum of activities from the strategic level to the resolution of specific implementation issues.
Questions after the interview:
At the end of an interview there is usually an opportunity where you can ask any questions you might have. This is a great opportunity to show the interviewer that you are interested in the position as well as the company. It is a good idea to prepare a few questions before the interview – this can be done while you are doing research on the company.
Your questions should show the interviewer that you are a good candidate for the position. Try and avoid questions that are based on your personal needs and preferences, for instance:
- How much leave will I get in a year?
- Will I be considered for promotion in my first year?
- When will I get an increase?
- What time can I leave in the afternoon?
These questions are inappropriate at this stage and will probably raise concerns on the side of the interviewer. Should you be the successful candidate then all these questions will be answered in your letter of appointment so don’t waste this opportunity by asking these basic questions.
If the position is an entry level job or very junior then you are welcome to ask questions in line with the position, for instance:
- Why did the previous person leave the position?
- What would the successful person be tasked to do in a typical day?
- How does this position fit into the department and / or company?
- Could you explain the company structure to me?
- Is there any further education assistance or support?
If the position is more senior then you can prepare question around the following themes:
- current issues that will face the successful candidate;
- inter-personal challenges in the department;
- any process, technology or people challenges that needs to be attended to urgently;
- key result areas that need urgent attention in the first few months;
The above information should get you started. Prepare a few questions so that you can show your worth. Good luck with your interview!