Applications accepted until: 2014-06-09
Number of Openings: 1
Key Performance Outputs:
- Manage, design, implement and commission as well as maintain and support the IT physical Infrastructure, apply best practices, international design philosophies at all sites.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to ensure effective and efficient power, cooling, safety, security, room design, architectures, standards, policies, procedures, processes, concepts, documentation and monitoring systems are implemented with optimal functionality.
- Manage the overall design process [systems architecture and physical layers] through co-ordination of designers and engineering experts.
- Provide expert guidance within the IT Data Centre arena (e.g. data cabling infrastructure at all ACSA’s sites)
- Develop IT Data Centre and IT infrastructure strategy, compile Capex and Opex budgets, forecasts, procurement plans, processes and ensure business alignment.
- Define, deliver and manage service level agreements ensuring uptime of the IT Data Centers and ensuring the requited OLA is in place with IT infrastructure.
- Assist in business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning, DR Blueprint, test cases and simulation activities.
- Conduct regular audits of existing IT and business facilities and generate gap analysis defining rehabilitation measures based on standards and best practices.
Technical Skills and Experience:
- A degree in Information Technology / Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent.
- Certified Datacenter Design Professional (CDCP) an advantage.
- Experience in Datacenter designs displaying a good understanding of Tier topologies, Uptime Institute guidelines, ANSI and TIA 942 standards
- Must be able to work independently and in concert with designers, engineers, and technology providers
- Knowledge of servers, storage and processing connectivity (networks), CCTV, access control, tele-communications, radio-communications, storage and processing systems & architectures.
- Ability to foster innovative solutions within the project team to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to have a strong impact and influence key decisions.
- Microsoft Office: Word /Excel / PowerPoint, Microsoft VISIO. AutoCAD.
The ideal candidate must maintain a high level of integrity coupled with the ability to work with minimal supervision. The candidate must possess excellent interpersonal skills. Teamwork, customers focus are critical for success. The ideal candidate must also have problem solving skills with drive for
Internal and/or External: This position will be filled in line with ACSAs values and Employment Equity policy and plan. Preference will be given to members of designated groups that are under-represented and the position will also be advertised externally.
Questions after the interview:
At the end of an interview there is usually an opportunity where you can ask any questions you might have. This is a great opportunity to show the interviewer that you are interested in the position as well as the company. It is a good idea to prepare a few questions before the interview – this can be done while you are doing research on the company.
Your questions should show the interviewer that you are a good candidate for the position. Try and avoid questions that are based on your personal needs and preferences, for instance:
- How much leave will I get in a year?
- Will I be considered for promotion in my first year?
- When will I get an increase?
- What time can I leave in the afternoon?
These questions are inappropriate at this stage and will probably raise concerns on the side of the interviewer. Should you be the successful candidate then all these questions will be answered in your letter of appointment so don’t waste this opportunity by asking these basic questions.
If the position is an entry level job or very junior then you are welcome to ask questions in line with the position, for instance:
- Why did the previous person leave the position?
- What would the successful person be tasked to do in a typical day?
- How does this position fit into the department and / or company?
- Could you explain the company structure to me?
- Is there any further education assistance or support?
If the position is more senior then you can prepare question around the following themes:
- current issues that will face the successful candidate;
- inter-personal challenges in the department;
- any process, technology or people challenges that needs to be attended to urgently;
- key result areas that need urgent attention in the first few months;
The above information should get you started. Prepare a few questions so that you can show your worth. Good luck with your interview!