Job Title: Systems Support
Branch/Department: Intergrated Services
Job Type Classification: Permanent
Location - Town / City: Samrand
Location - Province/Area: Gauteng
Position Overview: - Accountable for Linux, Windows and Network systems infrastructure;
- Setup , maintain and support virtual environment on Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor;
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and operational requirements;
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures;
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks;
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups;
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions;
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary;
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary;
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request;
- Provide 2nd and 3dr line support per request from various BU’s;
- Investigate and troubleshoot all system related issues;
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures;
- Coordinate and communicate with impacted BU’s;
- Call management as assigned by help desk;
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities;
- Configure / add new services as necessary;
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports applications;
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures;
- Perform periodic performance reporting for support capacity planning;
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required; Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required;
- Maintain computer room and environmental conditions;
- Monitor and maintain firewall;
- Setup and Support of Exchange Server;
- Accept and act on support issues raised by Help Desk System;
- Setup and Support of VOIP PBX system;
- Ensure the uptime of LAN and WAN connections;
- Setup and Administer Virtual Systems environment;
- Setup and Administration SAN and NAS Environment;
- Monitoring of Wireless network;
- Monitor and administer Anti-Virus;
- Liaise with Hardware, Software and Service Providers with regards to support issues;
- Liaise with ISP and Telkom with regards to stability of WAN connections
Specific Role Responsibilities:
- Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related network infrastructure;
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation with regards to IT infrastructure;
- Ensures that system hardware, hypervisor environment/s, operating systems, software systems, company Networks and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling the business;
- Assist business units (BU) with technical issues during the Initiation and Planning phases of Projects.
- Assist BU’s with definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project environment ;
- Supply Resolve with technical analysis and design;
- Support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out solutions.
- Research and development to ensure continual innovation
Qualifications and Experience:
Four to six years system administration experience in the following areas:
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix and/or Microsoft
- Setup and support of Windows Server Operating systems;
- Setup and Support of Windows Desktop Operating systems;
- Setup and Support of Linux operating systems;
- Corporate Networks LAN and WAN;
- Ms exchange
Skills and Personal Attributes:
Operating Knowledge of:
- Hypervisor or virtual machine monitor environments
- (XEN, KVM, VM Ware or Microsoft Hyper-V)
- Network routing protocols;
- Backup software;
- Lan and Wan management Systems;
- Server and PC hardware;
- System security;
- Help Desk systems;
- VOIP systems; and
- Systems Management Software.
Questions after the interview:
At the end of an interview there is usually an opportunity where you can ask any questions you might have. This is a great opportunity to show the interviewer that you are interested in the position as well as the company. It is a good idea to prepare a few questions before the interview – this can be done while you are doing research on the company.
Your questions should show the interviewer that you are a good candidate for the position. Try and avoid questions that are based on your personal needs and preferences, for instance:
- How much leave will I get in a year?
- Will I be considered for promotion in my first year?
- When will I get an increase?
- What time can I leave in the afternoon?
These questions are inappropriate at this stage and will probably raise concerns on the side of the interviewer. Should you be the successful candidate then all these questions will be answered in your letter of appointment so don’t waste this opportunity by asking these basic questions.
If the position is an entry level job or very junior then you are welcome to ask questions in line with the position, for instance:
- Why did the previous person leave the position?
- What would the successful person be tasked to do in a typical day?
- How does this position fit into the department and / or company?
- Could you explain the company structure to me?
- Is there any further education assistance or support?
If the position is more senior then you can prepare question around the following themes:
- current issues that will face the successful candidate;
- inter-personal challenges in the department;
- any process, technology or people challenges that needs to be attended to urgently;
- key result areas that need urgent attention in the first few months;
The above information should get you started. Prepare a few questions so that you can show your worth. Good luck with your interview!